The Pink Kangaroo 2021 will take place over 2 days (17th/18th March)
Providing an additional opportunity for problem solving
The Pink Kangaroo is a follow-on round to the Intermediate Mathematical Challenge. It is a 60-minute, multiple-choice competition consisting of 25 problems.
We invite several thousand qualifying UK-based students from the Intermediate Mathematical Challenge to take part in the Pink Kangaroo. Entry to the competition is by invitation only and is based on a qualifying score, which is variable from year to year.
How do I take part?
The competition is only open to invited students in schools and colleges based in the UK.
Invitations to participate in the Pink Kangaroo will be clearly indicated in your results from the Intermediate Mathematical Challenge. Invitees will receive automatic online access to the competition but there will also be an option to receive a paper version.
What happens after the Pink Kangaroo?
The top-scoring 25% of participants each receive a Certificate of Merit and the remaining 75% receive a Certificate of Qualification to mark their achievement in reaching this round.
How can I prepare for the Pink Kangaroo?
Teachers can use past Pink Kangaroo papers as a source of high-quality problems to encourage their students to think mathematically and to prepare for the competition. We are delighted to be working with DrFrostMaths to help teachers use past problems in the classroom.
We also sell downloadable past papers and books which can help students to prepare for our competitions.
We are proud to be the UK member of the Association Kangourou sans Frontières, a collaborative association whose purpose is to promote mathematics among young people around the world. Around six million young people take Kangaroo competitions each year.
The name Kangaroo acknowledges the contribution made by Australia to establishing large-scale mathematics contests.
Can you help us?
If you or someone you know has benefited from our activities then please consider making a donation.
Find out more about volunteering with us.
Check your account to see if you have any automatic qualifiers for this competition.